From the Desk of Peter Graf
Salzburg, Austria 7th of June 2019
Promising and risky
The Restaurant Business is promising, but also tough and risky. Many fail and you cannot afford too many mistakes. To be successful, you need to master Calculation, Marketing and Controlling.
This handbook was made to help you
My new handbook can help you with this task. As I have been working in the Restaurant Business for many years, I know your Situation quite well.
Successful startup with sales of 2 M $
I also helped to start up successfully a Restaurant Café Bar with Sales of more than 2 Million $ per year. Over 15 Years I consulted and accompanied this Business until it was shut down as the lease ended.
What really counts
My Handbook focuses on Topics that really count and gives you a big Chunk from my personal Experience. If you seek this Knowledge from a Restaurant Consultant, you probably would have to pay several thousand Dollars.
Guidance for owner, founder and manager of restaurants
This new Book is especially for Owner, Founder and Manager of Restaurants, Cafés, Bars and Food Trucks. You get hands-on Guidance and comprehensive Summaries of scientific Studies on the following Topics:
- How to get more Customers
- How to increase Sales
- How to lower Costs
In 26 Chapters and on 333 pages you can learn in Detail, what to do in order to improve your Restaurant Management and to succeed in the Restaurant Business.
In this practical Guide, you’ll find key questions and fill-in fields right next to the theory to make it easier to implement and quickly get better results.
Note your ideas in the book
Have a pencil ready and write down your ideas and thoughts right into the book.
If you plan to open a restaurant, this video is for you:
Now let´s have a look inside the Book . . .
Beware a real Problem . . . Theft by Employees
You really should think about this topic. If not, you will have to pay a high price for it. If yes, you can build a competitive advantage, that almost no restaurant, café or bar has. Building an inventory control system costs you some effort, but it brings your COGS (Cost of Goods Sold) down and lifts up your sales. Further the relationship between the owner and the employees becomes stronger, as the owner has hard facts to believe in. This is the best way I know to get rid of thefts and to strengthen the whole team, as you publicly beginn to appreciate the value of honesty. Your employees will notice this and will become more loyal to you.
Calculate Prices with the Excel Template
Calculating prices seems to be a boring task, but it is vital for your business. If you don´t calculate your prices, you have no idea where your business is headed, how you can reach your goals and whether you are on the right path or not. Put some time into it and become the best price calculator you can be. You can begin with the very simple premium calculation and then start out with the advanced profit oriented calculation.
Learn the Profit-Oriented-Calculation Step-by-Step
This calculation method starts with the end in mind. First you define your monthly profit goal, which you want to reach. Then you build the whole calculation step by step, until you have a detailed plan, how many pieces of each item you have to sell in order to reach your goal.
Plan Capacity and Utilization of your Restaurant
To make sure, that your calculation is realistic, you should calculate capacity. By this you will know, how many guests you are able to serve per day during peak times. Then you can take your sales numbers and calculate the utilization to assure, that it´s possible and not just a dream.
Make your Restaurant unique and leave Competitors behind
As I read, there are about 15 million restaurants in the world. Of course they are not all in your neighborhood, but I´m pretty sure, that you will experience a strong competition. There is almost no need for new restaurants, café or bars, as there are already a lot of them. So for each new restaurant business a weaker business will have to leave the market sooner or later. Developing a unique selling proposition is a proven way to become and stay competitive. In a nutshell, you should find at least one feature of your business that makes it unique. This can be anything your customers like. A special food, an extraordinary service, a great location, a cool brand, social interaction or a combination of some elements or whatever your creative entrepreneur mind can think about. If you look for ideas, try to identify concepts that already work. You don´t have to reinvent the wheel. Maybe you can take a proven concept, combine it with one or two elements and present your business in a complete new and unique way.
Discover the Power of the 80/20 Principle
Don´t miss out this secret sauce. 80/20 is a very powerful tool, that very few businesses really use. Find out, what your customers love most, build several variations, test them, keep the best and multiply your sales.
Find the few Items, that generate 80% of your Sales
Expand the few Marketing Activities that produce most of your Growth
Build up Regular Guests fast and simple
Increase Sales with a high Profit Birthday Party Campaign
Use Vouchers to grow your Email List
Discover Storytelling to attract more Customers
Learn to apply Direct Marketing
Increase Sales by Making your Menu the best Salesman
Take back Control over your Inventory and reduce COGS
Get 7 Excel Tools for Free
If you plan to start or open a Restaurant, than this book can save you of big problems.
If you struggle with running your Restaurant, your Bar or your Café, than this Book can be pure Gold for you.
The Concepts and Tools in this Handbook can be used in any kind and any size of Food Service Business.
Watch the Video to Uncover the Secret of Compelling Menu Design
You can improve your Restaurant Business with the following Insights
- How to use the profit-based calculation to get your prices, motivate your employees, control your sales, and plan your profits (Chapter 9)
- How to increase your sales by 30 %, 59 % or even 100 % through upselling (Chapter 13)
- How to optimize your menu for maximum sales (Chapter 18)
- 25 points sales checklist (Chapter 18)
- How to improve the use of drinks (Chapter 22)
- Excel calculator with 7 tools, which you can download for free.
- Learn how the guest views the menu in order to improve readability (page 238).
- Read how, in a real case, the sales of fish dishes increased by 86.6 % (page 242).
- Benefit from the results of a practical study in which food sales increased by 69.5 % (page 245).
- Learn a simple but effective referral technique that has nearly tripled the revenue of the recommended dish (page 249).
- Discover the secret, how the scope of the product range influences sales. In one case, the researchers from Columbia and Stanford recorded even a seven-fold increase in sales (page 252).
- A Cornell study provides insight into a simple and remarkable marketing strategy. Sales of a cafeteria were improved by 27 % simply by using a different product description (page 254).
- Discover a simple pricing trick that boosted restaurant sales by 8.1 % (page 261).
- Scientists found a simple way of presenting products, which increased the turnover in a bar by 4.1 %(page 263).
- Take advantage of a Yale study that discovered an increase of purchase propensity by 67.3 % using certain selling prices (page 269).
- Asian restaurant managers found a simple trick, which increased sales by 13 to 20 % (page 271).
- According to a US study, willingness to buy can be increased by 122 to 379 % by overcoming purchase inhibitions (page 275).
- American behavioral researchers found that the use of colors increased the consumption of food by 77 % (page 276).
- Researchers tested various types of background music in a restaurant and found a way to improve beverage sales by 40.9 % (page 277).
How much money can you make, if you increase your Sales by 5 to 20% ?
E.g. if your Sales are 200,000 Dollars per year, your Potential is at least 10,000 to 40,000 Dollars per year. And the Investment in this Handbook is only 57.